Patterns

Patterns

Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

beAdazzling

When I was living in North Liberty, one of my favorite things to do was to get up Wednesday mornings and go to the Goodwill before class (weird, I know). The Goodwill's in the Iowa City area all have a 25 cent day once a week, and the one by me had their sale day on Wednesday. I was able to find a lot of neat things at this particular Goodwill (which I will have to blog about later) but one of my favorite purchases was this late '50s/ early '60s beaded black dress.
Sorry for the wrinkles

B. Siegel Co.
Unfortunately for me it is a teeny tiny dress. I can't even get it on my dress form to take a decent picture. So no chance of me wearing it. I love the beading though, so I decided to spruce up another, rather boring, 25 cent purchase with some similar beading.


 It is a blue silk Victoria Holley dress. It is flared, so right now I am working on bringing it in at the waist and the hips as I want the shape to be similar to the original. I will also bring up the hem considerably as right now it is ankle length. The beading is going very slowly, as you might imagine. I have never added beads to anything so I don't know if I am sewing them on correctly, but it looks like the beading on the original dress so I am pretty pleased. I plan to add an inch worth of beads at the sleeves and the waist.


Maybe someday I will recreate the original dress more accurately, but for now I am pleased with the progress of this dress. When I finally finish the beading I will try to post pictures of the completed dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment